Monday, September 16, 2013

Former insurance agency investigator Nathan Ford heads a team of former topcriminals. They handle unorthodox cases of people unlikely to get their dues through regular channels and legal procedures. That often involves stinging or otherwise scamming criminals. Nates team is altered at times and his professional as well as personal past repeatedly seems to catch up.

Review

I could tell from the trailers that Leverage would be the kind of show I'd enjoy good guys vs. bad guys without the ambiguity of the legal system to get in the way. It did indeed deliver on that promise. It was cleverly paced and scripted and populated with interesting likable characters.

So why is the jury still out The short answer is that I DVR'ed it and watched it more than once.

Although it's slick the script had holes it just hoped you wouldn't notice. When compared to a show with really clever scripts (e.g. Burn Notice) I found too many "wait a minute" moments places where your successful suspension of disbelief depends on the viewer's short attention span or lack of reasoning ability. I won't drop spoilers to name some of the more obvious ones if anyone doesn't notice them who am I to point them out

There's a lot of talent in this series. I only hope that in the future they allow the scriptwriters a little more time to work out the kinks before shooting.