Monday, October 21, 2013

Click Here To Watch The Young Riders (TV Series 19891992)

Set just before the American Civil War this series presented a highly fictionalized account of the heyday of the Pony Express. Its focus was a group of young Express riders based at the waystation in Sweetwater Kansas. Running the station was ex-Texas Ranger and all-around eccentric Teaspoon Hunter. The role of cook housekeeper and mother hen was filled first by Emma and later by Rachel. The riders included the future Buffalo Bill Cody and James Butler (Wild Bill) Hickok as well as Ike a mute Buck a half-Whitehalf-Kiowa scout and the Kid a quiet Southerner. Their final member was Lou a young woman who lived and worked with the riders disguised as a boy. In second season their group was joined by Noah Dixon.

Review

I was in my late twenties when I first discovered this show on a cable channel. Coming from a family of western lovers my brother was already familiar with the show and enjoyed it as well. I had to record many of the episodes due to being in night classes but I always looked forward to getting home to view them. I was so excited to see the first season come out on DVD and hope the next will be out soon.As soon as I purchased it I came home to watch every episode without commercials and having pieces lost to TV interruptions and running out of tape. I know I missed some of the episodes and still cry when I watch the last one. This is wonderful TV that teaches some valuable lessons for young kids today. They should watch more westerns! (And those were some nice looking young men on that show that grew into even nicer looking men)