Sunday, September 29, 2013

Review

I never thought I would see a movie worse than Highlander 2 but now I have. Under the Skin has about enough material for a 10 minute short. This is stretched into a 107 minute trial of tedium. It's strange in some ways this movie reminds me of Gerry a film I love. For me though a film needs either or both an arc of plot like an action movie or the arc of an emotional journey. But something needs to happen. Ultimately the film is just empty. There are one or two not quite interesting ideas in it which are never explored just repeated as if they were afraid we wouldn't get them the first time.

I think this movie will appeal to a certain kind of person though. It will appeal to someone who likes to make up their own movie as they're watching. It will also appeal to someone who has seen so many films that only a movies novelty matters. I am not yet jaded enough to like it.