Saturday, September 28, 2013

On a journey to San Francisco Richard his father and cousin Emmeline find themselves on a ship about to explode. Rushed to a lifeboat with Paddy Button the two children escape while their father (and uncle) are on another lifeboat. In the chaos following the lifeboats are separated. Paddy Richard and Emmeline find themselves with no food and no water stuck in the middle of nowhere. After some time the three come across an uncharted paradise where Paddy quickly teaches the children fishing hunting and building. After maybe a month or two Paddy gets very drunk off a barrel of rum found on the island when they first arrive and drowns in the middle of the night. Emmeline and Richard now alone and very scared move location and rebuild their island home. Many years later the two young teenagers have developed a very real home but hormones and feelings between the two strain their friendship until Richard who is still very determined to reach San Francisco is let down by ...

Review

When I watch a movie and it ends leaving me to wish it had gone on for another hour or so I am happy and I regard the movie as having fulfilled its purpose. For me that is a yardstick of enjoyable entertainment. In this movie that did actually happen twice first when the children grow up and again at the conclusion. Whatever one wants of a movie is very personal I quess as for me I want to be transported away and this movie did that. I like to see beautiful people and beautiful scenery and this movie suplied May be that is lack of discernment and escapism on my side but I think it is OK for the movie industry to keep people like myself in mind too.